It’s important to think about the kind of tenant you are trying to attract and present your property accordingly. We are happy to provide advice on the expectations of your particular area. Below is a general guide as to what you should consider.
Wall Colours and Finishes
- Use neutral tones allowing the property to appeal to more tenants.
- Painted walls are easy to maintain, but wallpaper may be expected in high value properties.
- Wooden/hard floors are very desirable and easy to maintain.
- Carpets maybe more preferable in bedrooms
- Choose well-designed, good quality fixtures and fittings that will not date.
- Kitchens should be equipped with a dishwasher, large fridge/freezer, washing machine, tumble dryer and microwave. Invest in good quality appliances with long guarantees.
- Bathrooms should have high quality fittings and be well lit with good storage. Power showers and fully tiled floors and walls are preferred. Good ventilation is also a must.
- There should be ample wardrobe space in the bedrooms.
- Window dressings are essential, whether the property is furnished or unfurnished and should be of a good quality in neutral tones
Communal Areas & Facilities
- Communal areas and/ or entrance hallways should ensure a good first impression. Also bear in mind the “kerb appeal” of the exterior.
- Recycling facilities have become expected.
With the number of people renting as apposed to buying looking to increase, furnishing a property is fast becoming the norm. Just furnishing a property won’t necessarily affect the rental price, but the quality and look of the furnishings certainly will.
Any furniture should be neutral and modern. You should expect to spend 2-3% of a property’s purchase price on furnishings. For example, the budget for furnishing a standard two bedroom London flat would be in the region of £10,000 – £12,000.
Our Smuts & Taylor Interior Design can help maximise your property’s appeal and ultimately the rental return. From complete internal and external refurbish- ments to furniture packs and inerior design, our approach is always a hand picked bespoke solution.